ABS Tax Service is always available to answer your tax questions.

Here's a few of the common questions we're asked to answer:

  1. How long does it typically take to receive a tax refund?
    If you mail in your tax return, you will typically receive your refund within six weeks from the date the IRS received your tax return. If your tax return is electronically filed, the refund will typically be issued within three weeks from the date the IRS acknowledges your tax return.
  2. What documents should I bring to your office?
    If you work for an employer, you should bring your Form W-2. If you have income from any other source, you should bring documentation or records showing your income. If you have any dependents, we will need the names, social security numbers, and birth dates. If you have and expenses you think might be deductible, bring receipts or documentation to show those expenses. Remember, it's better to bring too much rather than not enough. If you have any questions concerning what to bring, give us a call.
  3. Are students required to file taxes?
    It depends on whether the student receives taxable income. Being a student does not automatically make you tax exempt. Keep in mind that if the student has additional Scholarship income after paying tuition and fees, that may be included in the students taxable income.
  4. I'm retired. Do I still have to file?
    Once you retire, you may still have to file a tax return. If you receive only Social Security Benefits, they will not be taxable to you, and you will not have to file taxes. However, if you receive other income, (for example: interest income, rental income, pension distributions, gambling winnings, etc.) you may be required to file a tax return. If in doubt, give us a call.
  5. If my husband (or wife) passed away this year, what filing status do I use?
    You can still file Married Filing Jointly with your deceased spouse in the year they pass away. However, if you have remarried before December 31st in the year your spouse died you will file with your new husband or wife you will file a return for your deceased spouse using the Married Filing Separately filing status.
  6. What does E-file mean?
    E-file means electronically filing your tax return. When we e-file your return, you can be sure the IRS receives your tax return quickly and if you are due a refund, you can receive it in as little as 10 days.
  7. If I owe prior year taxes and have a payment plan with the IRS will I receive a refund?
    No, any refund you are due this year, or in a future year, will be applied against the amount you owe until your tax debt is satisfied.